Monday, December 26, 2005

Best Friend's Quality

Speaking of “Best friend’s quality” I would like to bring about this topic from diplomatic perspective.

On the recent news, Senegal, a friend of Taiwan has just cut the diplomatic tie with Taiwan. Dates back a decade ago, they cut the diplomatic relations with Mainland China for economic reasons, yet now, they wants to switch loyalty to Mainland China for the same logic. And they even add to say “Between countries there are no friends, only shared benefits”.
Among 25 friends of Taiwan we have left, I wonder what on earth the motive we want to keep those countries for?? Most of them are not well-developed or have a firm position in national society. Years after years, we play the role of the fat cat, keep squandering huge money for corrupt allies. Do we just want to show the world that without China’s support, we still have friends??

I would say, those people who think that way are just fooling themselves around. Think about it, what is the in-depth significance of friendship? The answer can be narrowly to a person, widely to a country.

There is an English proverb says “A friend in need is a friend indeed”, Also, as the Chinese ancient teacher Confucius said that a true friend should be “Straightforward, upright and knowledgeable”.
In my view, I see these 3 words are initially important to a quality friend. In the meantime, I would also like to add one more description, which is “interactive assistance”, true friends are not only share your ups and downs in life, but also can bring out the best in your deep soul. He comforts you, consoles with you. That is kind of friends that I would get along with for entire life.

This is the last presentation that I give for this semester; I’d like to thank all of you for being such great audience of me. Without you, I would never be able to stand in front of the stage, thank you so much.

1 Comments:

At 12/27/2005 10:21 PM , Blogger Whitney L. said...

Hello Lilian,
what a great speech! I can't wait to see the video from Blair's blog.
well done!
whitney

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home